spacer

Friday, May 16, 2008

Bush gave up golf in solidarity with the troops in Iraq !









Its all to easy to mock Bush, but hey credit where it is due; he has made great sacrifices to support the troops out in Iraq. 
While families, partners and friends see loved ones return home in a body bag, good ole George wants them to know that he isn't having fun :

In an interview with the Politico website, the president said he took the decision because of the war. "I don't want some mom whose son may have recently died to see the commander in chief playing golf. I feel I owe it to the families to be in solidarity. And I think playing golf during a war just sends the wrong signal."

Bush said he laid down his clubs after the August 2003 bombing of United Nations offices in Baghdad that killed the UN's top official in the country, Sergio Vieira de Mello. "I remember when de Mello got killed as a result of these murderers taking this good man's life. I was playing golf - I think in central Texas - and they pulled me off the golf course and I said, 'It's just not worth it any more'.

Seems some are none too impressed by this:

Brandon Friedman, a veteran US infantry officer who served in both Iraq and Afghanistan, told the Press Association: "Thousands of Americans have given up a lot more than golf for this war. For President Bush to imply that he somehow stands in solidarity with families of American soldiers by giving up golf is disgraceful. It's an insult to all Americans and a slap in the face to our troops' families."


They just don't realise what a fine president they have. Commies the lot of em.

Labels: , ,