spacer

Saturday, February 14, 2009

Favourite Films - the one that got away

When Stroppy did a 'favourite films' post a while back, I can't for the life of me fathom why I forgot to mention P'Tang Yang Kipperbang. But having just returned home from the anti-capitalist feminist conference co-organised by Feminist Fightback (about which more probably tomorrow), I find that it is on Film 4.

This was one of the first films I saw on Channel 4 in its early days, and though I haven't seen it in the quarter-decade since, I've always remembered it fondly. Basically, it's the post-war story of cricket-obsessed schoolboy Alan Duckworth, known as Quack-Quack, and his crush on a classmate. There is a great contrast between the handsome, confident, posh boys in long trousers, like Alan's love rival Jeffrey, and the bumbling nerds in short trousers like Quack-Quack. The former say their farewells with "Manana" "Manana's not soon enough for me"; the latter "P'Tang Yang Kipperbang - uuuuh!" - hence the title. Actually, they are all posh, but the contrast is still there.

Anyway, that's enough from me, cos it's on now and I'm going to watch it.

Labels: