spacer

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

'Guilty and Proud of it': update on my book


I'm well chuffed this morning to find that my book, 'Guilty and Proud of it', is 'Book of the week' on the Spartacus Educational website - look, right there on the front page. Having dipped into it several times myself, I am under the impression that Spartacus is a very widely-read site, and it is certainly stuffed full with historical info, so being the Book of the week could very well be a big deal.

The book is now 139,256th best seller on Amazon - up from 161,554th a couple of days ago, so is obviously on a run! It keeps popping in and out of the top 100 bestselling books about London.

If you have read 'Guilty and Proud of it', by all means post a review on Amazon, or on the various other websites that feature the book and have a review facility, including Well Red, Housman's, Waterstones, Review Scout, or various others.

Meanwhile, the East London Advertiser ran a story about the book last week, but although it pops up on a Google search, but when I click the link, I just get a spinning 'P' thing. Obviously something technical.

Hackney readers can expect to see an article about the book in tomorrow's issue of the Gazette (no promises though!).

I will be giving several talks about the Poplar rebellion over the next few months. Confirmed dates are:
  • Sunday 13 September, 7pm, MOTH club, Valette Street, Hackney (map here) - as part of Hackney Solidarity Netowrk's monthly film night
  • Thursday 22 October, 7pm, Pages of Hackney bookshop, Lower Clapton Road - venue details here

My talk includes a PowerPoint presentation of contemporary photos and facts, a 1921 Topical Budget newsreel clip of the councillors about to be arrested, all in front of a backdrop of a replica of the Poplar councillors' banner, made for me by the marvellous banner-maker Ed Hall.

I'll also being giving the presentation at the North-East London Radical History Network on an as-yet-unconfirmed date, and some other appearances are in the pipeline too. If you would like me to give a presentation at your group's meeting, or would like to organise an event in your neck of the woods, please e-mail me.

Oh, and Luke Akehurst managed to describe 'Guilty and Proud of it' as "rather well-written", despite being credited on the first page as the Hackney councillor whose defence of cuts partly inspired the book!

Labels: