spacer

Sunday, September 27, 2009

Mandelson would work for the Tories




Rat preparing to leave sinking ship:

LORD Mandelson has disclosed that he is ready to accept a job under a future Conservative government.
In an interview with The Sunday Times magazine, the business secretary said he would be willing to put his “experience at the disposal of the country”, if Labour lost power. “As I grow older, I can imagine more ways of serving my country than simply being a party politician,” he said.
Asked whether he might use his experience in business and world trade under a future government, he said: “If I was asked to do something for my country using that asset base, of course, I would consider it.”
On the specific point of whether he would consider requests from a Conservative government, he said: “Of course, it wouldn’t be serving the government, it would be serving the country and I wouldn’t be doing it by becoming a member of that government.”
Mandelson, who will be 56 next month, said he was “too tribal” ever to become a Tory minister and insisted he was focused on helping Labour win the election.


Far be it for me to offer a suggestion to the Prince of Darkness, but surely one way to help Labour win the election is not by talking of a willingness to work for the Tories, even if dressed up as serving his country. Serving his need to cling on to any scrap of power more like.
I'm sure he would find the transition smooth, not exactly a great leap in politics .

A less disloyal response :

Speaking to The Sunday Times, Peter Hain, the Welsh secretary, said he would never accept a job under the Conservatives.“I would be working to get them out as soon as possible,” he said.

Exactly.

Perhaps the Tories can learn to love Mandy, they are welcome to him.

Labels: