spacer

Saturday, August 09, 2008

Deleted Without Being Read


There is no doubt lots of serious stuff going on in the news, but I've just got back from me hols, so commenting on world-shaking events will just have to wait. Among the 200+ emails awaiting my attention was this little classic:

Your message

To: Jennette Arnold
Subject: Loud announcements from Hackney railway stations
Sent: Mon, 5 May 2008 05:31:17 +0100

was deleted without being read on Sat, 9 Aug 2008 08:56:40 +0100


Now, I wouldn't expect the average Stroppyblog reader to be hugely interested in the sleep deprivation caused to me and my neighbours by loud announcements from our local railway station, but I thought you might be interested - in a not-very-impressed sort of way - with a New Labour GLA member's commitment to representing her constituents. Yes, for those of you wondering who Jenette Arnold (pictured) actually is, she is GLA member for North East London, which includes Hackney.

What do you do if someone emails you about a quality-of-life issue that obviously matters to several people whom it is your job to speak up for and represent? Er ... Ignore it for three months, then delete it without reading it.

And Labour wonders why its base in working-class communities is shrinking to virtually nothing? (OK, something to do with generalised attacks on the working class, privatisation, cutting public sector pay, unpopular wars, sucking up to the rich, failing to protect us from the credit crunch etc, but you get my point ...)

Labels: ,