spacer

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Should I stay or should I go ....


I have posted a few times here on how pissed off I am with New labour . I have been faffing about for the last few years as to whether to leave. I have hung around mainly because there does not seem to be anywhere else to go. My politics are closer to the far left than both New and Old labour, but I can't be arsed with the sectarianism. I also feel very uncomfortable with the direction and strategies of many of the groups and who they make alliances with.

So I have watched with interest the NEC elections and the emergence of John McDonnell as a challenger to Brown. Perhaps there is some spirit left in the Party to fight back. New labour does seem troubled by the challenges, else why bother to smear and play its usual control freakery games. I am interested to see whether this will energize what remains of the left in the Party.

So I have decided to get involved with John's campaign and to wait around a bit longer. I expect this will be seen as naive . My view on whether I stay or go will be determined by that campaign and the results of the NEC elections. I am not naive enough to think John could win, what I am interested in is the support he receives and whether this can kick start a platform for the left.

I don't think I am alone in wanting to be involved and find a political home but being unimpressed by both Labour and the far left alternatives. At the moment the odd demo and rant on the blog is the extent of what I do and that is not enough.