spacer

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

London Pro-Feminist Men's group


Apart from my long debates about Kylie's arse, I have had a few chats recently with leftie men about anti sexism and the male feminist and how to be supportive and what to call themselves. Some younger ones like Kit calls himself a feminist. Some of the older ones , bit more cynical, admit that back in the 80s the main reason for calling yourself that was to get into the knickers of members of the women's group. You know who you are :-)Now of course they are both good old anti sexist lefties but who don't make a big deal of it.

Anyway enough rambling. My point is I don't expect men to be perfect (that would be dull anyway), just an awareness that they need to address issues and a hands up when they get it wrong or don't know. I don't much care what they call themselves, its what they do in support of women and whether they can question themselves and the left that counts.

With that in mind I was pleased to hear about a blog and group, the London Pro-Feminist Men' group, from one of my many drinking buddies and mates John A. John is still enthusiastic and not yet bitter and twisted:-) Its nice to see it. Perhaps some of us hard bitten old cynics could learn from people like John and this group.

Pic: Members of the group at the Reclaim the Night rally.

Labels: ,