spacer

Sunday, July 09, 2006

Au revoir Rose Tyler


I can trace back the first ever time I heard the word feminist and that was in an episode of Dr Who. And it was uttered by Sarah Jane Smith, one of the doctor's companions, resident journalist and feminist. This must have been around 1975 and I was around 5. It just kinda stuck in my head. I remembered this last night watching the final episode in the series of Dr Who and the demise of Rose Tyler. Rose, ably battling Cybermen and Daleks in alternate universes but finishing up in another time and place but without the Dr.

In some ways I actually started to like Rose Tyler with her wit, strength and logic. The fact she was never intimidated by the Dr and that she was able to hold her own. I think both Billie Piper and Russell T. Davies should be applauded for the way Rose has convincingly evolved over the two series and the continued development of this strong woman. Like I said, I wasn't a big fan originally (I found her annoying and supposed in some ways I wanted her to mirror Buffy by kicking tin ass) but Rose grew on me with her feisty, practical and tough attitude and that she wore low-heeled shoes or trainers. Her clothes were practical and ordinary for space travel.

Unlike many of the previous assistants who wore high heels (I'm sorry, but trying to run away from some baddie in 3-inch killer heels is not clever as you are bound to get caught or topple over and break your ankle!) and they screamed a lot...... and that was it really. I remember these assistants when I watched Dr Who during the late 70s until the mid-80s usually Saturday tea-time after Grandstand. It was probably a way to draw in blokes hence the hot female totty wearing heels, skimpy shorts and a low cut corset (Ah yes, Tegan). It just irritated along with the constant screaming.

I suppose there was Ace with her anarcho style lobbing bricks at Cybermen and whacking Daleks with base ball bats. But didn't generally watch it then as thought Sylvester McColl bland and lame (in my opinion went downhill after Peter Davison left..)

But I have to say I didn't miss an episode of these 2 series (yep, says a lot about me..) as it was well written, imaginative, creative, current and yes, Russell T. Davies has admitted to raiding ideas from various American films and telly programmes (Matrix to Independence Day to Buffy to Angel and so on). So, farewell Rose and I do hope we get to see you again in a cameo once in a while.

Note to Russell T. Davies: keep creating good, positive and strong women. And no screaming....