spacer

Sunday, August 27, 2006

The book thingy


Will tagged me for this. Must admit I have done it in a hurry and not given much thought. I am sure I could have made up, I mean come up, with more witty and clever answers and books. Anyway here goes...




1. One book that changed your life.

My life has been changed by people and events. Books then explain, make sense, and make me question and look at the world differently. Many books have done that, both fiction and non-fiction.

2. One book that you've read more than once .

Am re-reading Eve was Framed:Women and British Justice by Helena Kennedy as it has been updated and want to see what is new in there.

3. One book that you'd want on a desert island .

Can I cheat a bit and have the 6 Tales of the City books by Armistead Maupin. It is really one big book!! Ok, so not some heavy political work, but if I am stuck on a desert island then I would want some escapism and to be able to retreat into my fantasy world. I would like to imagine I was living in the house on Barbary Lane in 1970s San Francisco (this will mean sod all to most straight male lefties I should think) rather than alone on an island.

4. One book that made you laugh .

Mark Steel ‘Reasons to be cheerful’
Not that I was ever in the SWP but it reminds me of when I first became involved in politics. It brings it all back.

5. One book that made you cry?

Don’t think a book has made me cry, unless its in a ‘please make it stop sort of way’.

6. One book you wish you had written

There are loads, can’t pick one out. It is something I wish I could do, have lots of ideas in my head but can never get them down.

7. One book you wish had never been written

Of course I criticise people who say certain books should be banned but who have never actually read them.
I am now going to be hypocritical and list some books that I have never read but do seem a waste of space …any biog/auto biog by a sportperson, any biog/auto biog by a ‘celebrity’ under the age of 25 ,anything by Jeffery Archer or Barbara Cartland.
Oh and hippy twaddle new age books about crystals and chakras.

8. One book you're currently reading .

Well I was about to read Hitchens book on Mother Theresa but this morning it fell out my window (I left it on the window ledge and somehow It managed to fall through the blinds). Went to get it and someone had already taken it! Will have to borrow Dave's copy.
Others I am reading, or about to read … Eve was Framed by Helena Kennedy, Kafka on the shore by Haruki Murakami and A Scanner Darkly by Phillip K Dick( I have read lots of PKD books but not this one, saw the film and have dug out my copy . Its one that was on my 'to read list' and never got round to it. )

9. One book you have been meaning to read

Like Louise, loads. Babylon and Beyond by Derek Wall is one.
I started reading it then lost it. I have just found it again. Yep books fall out of windows and disappear in my flat, that and keys, watches , socks etc etc. Sometimes wonder how I ever get out in the mornings…

10. Five people to tag -

Well would have said Osler but he refused on principle, that being he can’t be arsed.
So Volty, Paddy the Puritan (ok, he hasn’t a blog but he can add to the comments), Jim Jam (I think he will like doing this), Adele and Red Aspie.